JANUARY 2023 RTRs
SAVE THESE (likely) DATES!!!
Although no permits have been signed yet, HOWA just received verbal confirmation from the Town of Quartzsite for the use of the Quartzsite Town Park baseball field for the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTR) and the Women’s RTR (WRTR) — the same location as the January 2022 RTRs (https://goo.gl/maps/fZMMu67wNkYzKzMm8):
RTR — Friday, January 13th through Friday, January 20th for:
- Morning and afternoon classes for those new to the nomadic lifestyle
- Meeting up with old friends and making new friends
- “Free Pile” to give-and-take quality items for the nomadic lifestyle (it’s like a free outside thrift shop, now mostly on tables)
- Representatives from businesses who provide quality goods used by Nomads
- And more …
WRTR — Saturday, January 7th through Thursday, January 12th.
- Same activities as the RTR with bigger emphases on:
- Classes specific to women’s concerns, e.g., Safety, Hygiene
- Networking, making friends, finding campmates
If interested in volunteering:
- Volunteer Sign-Ups — November 2022 (access to the application will be available from this webpage)
- Orientation, Training and Setup — Thursday, January 5th through Friday, January 6th
- Tear-Down and Wrap-Up — Saturday, January 21st
Other information about the RTRs 2023, in no particular order —
- Activities of the RTRs take place between sunrise and sunset.
- Bring your own chair to sit in the audience section on the outfield grass while attending the stage-based classes and performances.
- Dogs welcome — non-aggressive, on-leash, under full control of the leash-holder, as long as the dogs’ owner(s) pick-up & properly dispose of their dogs’ poop.
- Participants typically camp on the surrounding free 14-Day BLM lands or in the fee-based LTVAs. (https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/recreation-activities/arizona)
- During the RTRs, HOWA will suggest Caravan Camp Locations within the free 14-Day BLM land (http://HomesOnWheelsAlliance.org/Caravans)
- Please Leave No Trace when camping on our public lands. Pack it out!
- The Town of Quartzsite has everything you need — groceries, water, trash disposal, RV dumps, propane, restaurants, fast food, etc.
- The nearest Walmart is in Parker, about 45 minutes north of Quartzsite; the large city of Yuma is about 1.5 hours south.
- Parking at the baseball field is crowded, patience and good-humor are appreciated.
- Avoid using the park’s trash cans for your household (vehicle-living) trash. You have free access to the Quartzsite and other LaPaz County Transfer Stations (https://www.co.la-paz.az.us/DocumentCenter/View/587/Landfill-and-Transfer-Station-Winter-Hours-PDF)
- We expect to have a live band during the first weekend of the RTR again this year (probably Sunday).
- We also expect to have an Open House, where nomads can show-off their vehicle-homes, also during the first weekend of the RTR (probably Friday)
- To get a work camping job, the Big Tent RV Show begins on Saturday, January 21st, the day after the RTR ends.
- This web-page will be continuously updated as the dates and activities are firmed up. Check back often.
THIS IS AN AMAZING EVENT, THE 13TH ANNUAL, AMONG AN AMAZING COMMUNITY.
RUBBER TRAMP RENDEZVOUS, HERE WE COME!
Suanne Carlson, Executive Director
Homes On Wheels Alliance, Inc.